I know it’s a little presumptuous to call my recipe the best one, but IT IS! It’s super creamy, very rich in flavor, and nut free! Now I know potato “cheese” isn’t anything new in the vegan community, but most people add cashews, oils, and other stuff to their recipe while I tried to keep it simple and cheaper by using things I had in my fridge. The only thing I had to buy that I didn’t already have, was the vegan cheeses. You could really just buy vegan cheddar and use a whole bag if you wanted to instead of doing both kinds of cheese. I really hope you like my recipe! If you make it tweet me @mohuntley or tag me on Instagram @mo_huntley so I can see your go at it!
1 lb of your favorite pasta ( I used Cellentani)
3 medium/large golden potatoes
1/2 of chopped carrots
1 whole small white/yellow onion
2 heaping Tbs of tahini
1 whole lemon’s worth of juice
1/2 c of nutritional yeast
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of onion powder
A dash of cayenne pepper (the more you add the spicier it will be)
A dash of salt and pepper
1/2 a bag of vegan mozzarella ( I used Follow Your Heart brand)
1/2 of vegan cheddar ( I used Follow Your Heart brand)
3 heaping Tbs of vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
3/4 c – 1 c of water from boil
- Fill two pots with water and put them on the stove to boil. One is for your veggies and the other is for your pasta.
- Chop potatoes, carrots and onion into 1 in pieces (the smaller they are, the quicker they cook) and add to one of the pots and boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender
- Add pasta and cook using instructions from the box. Drain when done and set aside.
- Add the cooked potatoes, carrots, and onion to a high powered blender with the tahini, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Blend and add water from the boil if too thick (I added about 3/4 of a cup). Taste and make sure it’s flavorful enough for you, some people like more or fewer seasonings in it!
- Transfer the “cheese” sauce and the pasta into a large saucepan and stir over medium heat until combined. Then, add vegan cheeses and vegan butter, mix until everything is melted and combined.
- Turn heat off and serve while hot!